Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Corey's excellent adventure

My man is making maple syrup. I have to admit, I was against this, wanting to wait until next year when Lily would be a little older and a bit more self sufficient. But being hard headed, he didn't listen.

It actually hasn't been as difficult as I remember from making maple syrup when I was a kid. Maybe that is because when I was little, we had to hike quite a ways to get to the trees we tapped and we had to haul the big buckets of sap over a fence. Corey tapped the ones right here in the yard so he hardly has to haul it at all. He has been boiling down the sap in record time. Tonight's batch took only about 4 hours total, 3 hours on the fire and 1 hour on the stove to finish it off. My computer is on the fritz but Corey took these cell phone shots of the boiling process and the finished product.





9 comments:

Bumble's Bounce said...

I think you're missing something in this post...you know, the obligatory Lily pic. I've been waiting for DAYS...and DAYS!!!!

Corey said...

More syrup to come. I'm expecting to have 30 gallons or more of sap by Saturday. Once Brook gets her computer working again, she'll post some better pics.

Unknown said...

Impressive and tasty I am sure!

Narly said...

Ohmygod, you need FIRE to make Maple Syrup? Why didn't anyone tell me?!

Doug said...

Brings back so many memories from my childhood, going to the maple syrup festival in Park County with my folks, watching the syrup being boiled down and of course getting so excited about the Ball jar full of sweet goodness in the trunk just waiting for Pancakes!

Brook said...

Doug,

I see future field trips to our house for all the adoption group kiddos ;)

Nanny said...

I knew when you were here and Corey started talking about making maple syrup it was just a matter of time.
So, Corey just how much syrup do you get from 30 gallons of sap??

Corey said...

Unfortunately, Nanny, one can only derive about 3 quarts of syrup from 30 gallons of sap. I'm hoping to make enough to feed our maple syrup needs and have a few to give away (auctions will be held!).

Kristin said...

I'm a California kid from a big city and had no idea how maple syrup is made. Fascinating. I bet your yard smelled devine!