Monday, September 24, 2007

Major surgery



My trusty little iBook is on the fritz. It is having a 'logic board" issue, where it basically freezes and the screen goes black. There was a recall on this part, but the recall is now expired. Of course! So, I am now resorting to major surgery... trying to shim up the offending component on the circuit board (using an online tutorial from some other poor sap who attempted home iBook repair). I am definitely NOT qualified to do this kind of work, but I decided to crack the bit@# open and go for it. I got her back together and didn't even have any parts left over. So far it seems to have helped, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high, yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing woman, that is for sure. Always an inspiration to me:) Way to be independent:) I hope my Katie Marie grows up to be like you. (I like to watch too much TV, and call a repairperson)

Zack said...

Nice work! Good thing you've got such a smart bro who can diagnose the problem for you over the phone. :-P Laptops are a pain to get apart, and an even bigger pain to get back together. The fact that it is still working after you got it back together is pretty awesome. Hope the repair was successful and you don't have anymore problems.

Anonymous said...

Look at Zack trying to take credit for your ingenuity! UGH! Thumbs down Zack!

Brook said...

Now that last comment HAD to be Laura - you can't fool me Ms. Anonymous! HA! Giving Zack full credit, he did diagnose the problem and the possible fix... HOWEVER, he was too much of a pansy to try it on his own computer, when it took a dump.

Zack said...

No, I was smart enough to call the company and sweet talk them into taking the computer and replacing the logic board with a shiny new one for FREE. Sweet deal. Thumbs up for me!

If they hadn't fixed it for free I would have ripped the sucker open like you did. I probably would have screwed it up though. Big ups to you for doing it right.