Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Banana Muffins

Multigrain banana muffins

We try and get as many whole grains in our diet as we can. We only buy whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, whole wheat crackers, etc.

I've never been too fond of wheat muffins, though. Most of the ones I've tried have been quite dense and dry. I tried this recipe (actually a combination of 2 different recipes) in hopes of creating a low sugar, healthy snack. They turned out quite good. I'm ashamed to admit how many I consumed before they even cooled. Lets just say LOTS. I think the oats in them help keep them quite moist and the bananas provide a bit more sweetness. They are much lighter than other multigrain muffins I've tried.

Here is the recipe:

Multigrain Banana Muffins

1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour milk (I make sour milk by adding a tbsp of cider vinegar to a cup of milk and letting it sit for a minute or two)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats, quick cooking or regular (I used regular)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
----
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
----
1 cup walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tins (my batch made 14 muffins). Do not use muffin cups, I made that mistake and the batter sticks to them too much. Mix first 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix the wet with the dry until just combined. Add nuts if desired.

Bake for 18 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Cami said...

Sounds great and looks yummy!

Tami said...

Can't wait for my kitchen to be done so I can make these tasty muffins!

Doug said...

I LOVE muffins (cookies, cake, brownies, etc.) straight out of the oven. Yum!

Lisa T. said...

I have used yogurt in place of sour milk and unsweetened apple sauce instead of any sugar this makes them really moist. I also learned the trick to just combine the ingredients, avoid stirring.

With that in mind, I'm glad I read your post earlier because I was just getting ready to make some muffins for tomorrow. !
Zucchini banana yogurt...but I don't have whole grain flour right now.
Excited to see ya tomorrow.

Susannah said...

I think I will have to try this recipe. I have about 10 bananas in the freezer right now awaiting a masterpiece. I have a wonderful banana bread recipe that we all love but I may try this one to use my wheat flour and oats.

Aimee said...

Those sound really tasty. Have you tried using Whole Wheat Pastry Flour in your baking? We use it to replace white flour in everything except yeast bread. It's lighter than regular ww flour.