Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cloth diaper talk

A lot of people have asked about why we chose cloth diapers. I personally chose cloth for these reasons:

-They are new and improved. No more pins! They are also simple to wash at home.

-The fact that Lily's diapers won't still be sitting in a landfill when Lily's great-great-great-great grandchildren are here (disposables last 250-500 years in a landfill). Diapers are the 3rd largest single consumer item in landfills.

-They don't contain toxic chemicals, or potentially cause other serious health problems.

-They are softer on Lily's tush - I know prefer cotton underwear to plastic.

-They are cheaper for us. Even though we use the fancy kind, all in all, Lily's diapers will only cost approximately $400 (most were bought as gifts) as opposed to the $2000 worth of disposables an average child goes through. Plus, they can be used for additional children without additional cost.

-They are cute!



I solved the stinky diaper pail problem with a trip to Target where I purchased one of these odor absorbing things and some of this to stick it to the lid of the pail. Works like a charm. Even Corey's super-sensitive nose approves. I also got a handy dandy, washable, diaper pail liner from our local cloth diaper store, where I also get the eco-friendly laundry soap that I love.



My friend Lexi and I made our own cloth wipes, too, which I keep moist (with water and a drop of lavender oil) in a little plastic container on the changing table. They work great and I just toss them in the pail with the diapers.



And just because I can't have a post without a pic of her, here she is :)

5 comments:

Laura said...

Wish I knew about all this 2.5 years ago! Fantastic post! I was so dumb.

Leo said...

Looks like she is filling her diaper right now :)
= Leo =

Anonymous said...

She is already growing up so much. Can't wait to see her on Sunday. Love you guys.
mom and dad

Lisa said...

man, I feel like a bad mom.
I wouldn't mind the pee pee ones..
if I could only predict the poopie ones.

I sure was sad I missed tea time today.
boo

Jeff9 said...

The best way to clean cloth diapers is to pre-rinse them off in the toilet using a Hand Bathroom Bidet Sprayer. So convenient and if you are trying to help the environment (and your pocket book) you can give it a double whammy by virtually eliminating toilet paper use at the same time as you benefit from using it on the diapers, by using it on yourself. I think Dr. Oz on Oprah said it best: "if you had pee or poop on your hand, you wouldn't wipe it off with paper, would you? You'd wash it off" Available at http://www.bathroomsprayers.com they come in an inexpensive kit and can be installed without a plumber. And after using one of these you won't know how you lasted all those years with wadded up handfuls of toilet paper. Now we're talking green and helping the environment without any pain. One review: http://jonathanandandrea.blogspot.com/2009/04/spray-it-or-scrub-it.html