Thursday, October 2, 2008

Life lesson 42,351... Back up your shit!

Wait, that doesn't sound right. But seriously.

So here's the bad news:

I've always been one of those "It'll never happen to me", folks. Well, two days ago, it happened. Out of the blue, my hard drive crashed. Pretty much ever photo I've ever taken and lots of things I couldn't bare to lose were on there.

The good news:

Last year I started running out of space on my computer (on account of all the pictures) so I bought one of those "external hard drive" thingies. It just so happens that Leopard, the newest operating system for Mac has a program called "Time Machine" which automatically backs your stuff up without having to really even think about it. All you have to do is plug it into the external hard drive every once and a while and *poof* its backed up! So after getting my MacBook back from Apple warranty repair, and some sweating (I wasn't sure if I'd hooked it up since our trip out west) I was able to get EVERYTHING back :)

If you do not have one of these external hard drive doodads, I HIGHLY recommend getting one. If you don't have a Mac running Leopard, it will take a tiny bit more effort to save your stuff, but trust me, it will be well worth it. Just imagine losing all your precious family photos and such. It can happen! In fact, it will happen, its just a matter of time.

What I'm planning to do from now on is to store my external drive at my office and then take my laptop in every week or so to let it back up. That way, if there is a fire or something, my stuff will be okay.

No comments: