Sunday, September 21, 2008

Plastic bags are the devil

Its true. If you don't believe me, check out this presentation.

There is no excuse for not getting your own reusable grocery sacks. Nowadays, they sell them everywhere. They make it a heck of a lot easier to carry your groceries anyway - you can load them really heavy and carry just 2 or 3 bags in the house instead of 10 icky plastic bags. If you still cannot be bothered to bring your own bags, at least ask for paper. I don't believe a paper bag has ever choked a bird to death or drown a turtle. There are also lots of times when you don't need a bag at all. Just tell the checkout person that you don't need a sack. Just make sure you do so BEFORE they rip it off the rack (otherwise they'll likely wad it up and toss it in the trash).

There is one problem with carrying your own bags, and that is forgetting them. It is easy to do. Another problem is shopping at a store other than the grocery, where you feel weird carrying a big sack in with you. For these two reasons, I recommend keeping a small reusable sack in your purse or pocket. I have been using Envirosax which fold up to about the size of a candy bar. I love it and keep it with me at all times. I just saw another cool tiny bag at the airport. Its called the Flip and Tumble Bag. The Flip and Tumble smooshes into a tiny neoprene thing attached to the bag. Once open, it is super simple to convert back to a squishy fun little ball. You could even play catch with them! I highly recommend them. I actually didn't buy one because I figured they'd be more expensive at the airport. If anyone wants one, let me know and maybe I'll compile an order to decrease shipping costs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I just got a serious Talk to. And Um, I think I needed it. Damn. Thank you. I promise I'll work on it this week.
Love you! So happy you made it home safe! Wish I could have seen you fly over!

cpainton said...

I have tried to stop using plastic bags and at work when I check people out if they have less than three items, I don't give them a bag. You should see their faces when I hand them their stuff with their receipt! Funny!!